Wow, it is HOT. Texas summers are killers, and it is time to worry about heat-related illnesses. Now is the time everyone is going to Sea World, Schlitterbahn, Fiesta Texas and all the fun water parks.
There are a number of things you can do to get your child ready for a long day at the park and keep them safe but having fun at the same time.
- Dress appropriately! Consider dressing your child in a “surf shirt” for the entirety of the day, whether they are in or out of the water. Have them wear a hat, sunglasses, and even lip balm that contains SPF 15 or higher.
- Bring dry clothes to change into when you are done swimming. Wear lightweight clothing material such as cotton or linen.
- Hydrate before, during, and after being outside. If you will be outside for the majority of the day, bring sports drinks as well.
- Take frequent breaks and find a shady spot to cool off.
- Wear sunscreen! Reapply sunscreen every two hours. Most sunscreens are not approved for young infants, so they must be kept in the shade. Do not use bottles that advertise combination sunscreen and bug spray, they are not very effective.
If you child starts saying they are too hot, too cold, or nauseous, get them to a cold area as soon as you can or have them take a cool shower. Heat exhaustion can happen quickly and leads to heat stroke.
Signs of Heat Exhaustion:
If they show any of these signs, get them inside to air conditioning and have them drink plenty of water. If their condition does not improve, take them to a doctor.
Signs of Heat Stroke:
- All the signs of heat exhaustion plus:
- Rapid Heartbeat
- Altered Mental State
If they show these signs, take them to a doctor as soon as you can.
Little Spurs Pediatric Urgent Care has 11 locations in Texas. We are happy to announce that we will be opening a location in New Braunfels this summer, located at 312 FM 306, New Braunfels TX, 78130
We are open from 9am–9pm Mon.-Fri., 9am-6pm on Sat., and 10am-6pm on Sun. For more information, please call 210.543.7334. We welcome walk-ins, accept most insurance plans and are proud to be accredited by the Urgent Care Association!