Poisoning Accidents in the Home
- April 22, 2020
Poison Control calls have increased! While it hasn’t been found to be directly related to the COVID-19 pandemic, children are spending more time at home and families have more cleaning products stored at home than usual.
Children that accidentally ingest poison are typically under 5 years old. It is best to use extra safety measures around your home until children are 6 years or older.
If your child accidentally ingests poison, do NOT make them vomit. Do not use syrup or ipecac to make them throw up. There are times when using these are unsafe (depending on what was ingested). It is best to contact Poison Control to determine the safety treatment plan. Instead take the item away from your child and make them spit out whatever is in their mouth still. Call Poison Control to see what else needs to be done.
If your child accidentally inhales poison, take them out into the fresh air immediately. Then call Poison Control to see what else needs to be done.
- Mix cleaning products!
- For example: bleach, vinegar, and water combined creates a toxic gas, which can cause trouble with breathing
- Store cleaning products on a low shelf
- If you have to store them on a low shelf, put a safety latch on the cabinet door.
- Don’t hoard!
- Only buy what you need. If you have too many cleaning products, it is easy to leave something lying around where little hands and mouths can find it. Know what you have in your home and where you keep it.
- Don’t pour cleaning products into different containers. It is best to leave them in their original packaging.
- For example: Pouring gasoline into a Gatorade bottle. This is a big no-no.
- Use child-resistant packaging and locks. Make sure to put the cap back on cleaning products every time you use them, even if you are just stepping away for a moment.
- Store your cleaning supplies in a separate area of your house from food and medicine.
- If you carry a purse or backpack, keep it out of your child’s reach.
Here are some especially dangerous household products that you should doublecheck are out of your child’s reach. These should be bought in small amounts only and should be discarded if not being used.
- Windshield washer solutions
- Drain cleaners
- Toilet bowl cleaners
- Hydrocarbons (gasoline, oils, paint thinners)
- Button batteries
If your child ingests or inhales a cleaning product, you can always contact Poison Control at 1-800-222-1222 or go to their website. They also offer a self-assessment quiz for you to determine if your child is in danger.
- Poison control sees spike in calls for cleaner, disinfectant accidents amid COVID-19 pandemic
- Poison Prevention & Treatment Tips
Little Spurs Pediatric Urgent Care now offers curbside service and virtual visits. Little Spurs opened in 2006 in San Antonio, Texas. With multiple locations in San Antonio and Dallas, they are open seven days a week with extended evening hours and see walk-in patients or through an online check-in system. They accept most commercial insurance and Medicaid plans. More information about Little Spurs Pediatric Urgent Care can be found at www.littlespurspedi.com.