It’s that time of year! As you take your child trick or treating, here are a few safety tips to keep in mind:
- If your child’s costume is a dark color, add reflective tape.
- Glow sticks and flashlights are also good options.
- Make sure your child’s costume fits, to avoid tripping. If it is too long, pin it up before going trick or treating
- Try to choose a non-toxic face paint instead of a mask, which can obscure your child’s vision. If they are wearing a mask, have them take it off before crossing the street.
- If you choose paint, test it beforehand to make sure your child does not have a reaction. Thoroughly wash it off before going to bed to avoid irritation.
- Teach your child to look both ways before crossing the street.
- Check your child’s candy. Throw away the candy if it looks like it has been tampered with.
- Go down one side of the street at a time, cross the street at corners.
- Children should trick-or-treat with their parents if they are under the age of 13. If over, use the buddy system. Trick-or-treat in groups, and make sure someone has a cell phone.
- If you are handing out candy, avoid candies such as M&M peanuts (for those kiddos with allergies).
- Have fun! There are a lot of things to look out for during Halloween, but follow these tips and tricks and it will be a night of candy, costumes, and fun!
Little Spurs Pediatric Urgent Care has multiple locations in Texas. It is a walk-in urgent care, that can care for children from the ages of 0-21. Call now at (210)543-7334